Extra-Curricular Clubs and Activities
At Hethersett, we offer a wide range of organised extra-curricular activities, clubs and lessons to help our pupils from age 3-18 develop as individuals. We encourage every pupil to try and a range of these, which can lead on to life-long hobbies and passions.
We also run competitions between the houses in school – Ryder, Fry and Austen – throughout the year, and encourage all our pupils to get involved. Regular House events include singing and quiz competitions as well as sports, while additional house activities have included, for example, making gingerbread houses at Christmas, designing the school Christmas card, taking photographs to capture ‘autumn’, writing poetry with the theme of ‘Remembrance’ and creating fashions out of recycled materials.
We strongly encourage pupils to enter external competitions. Recent successes have included three of our girls, Grace Robinson, Mia Ellis-Wood and Ella Kassulke reaching the final ten in the journalism category of the prestigious Amnesty Youth Awards, with both Mia and Grace then making the final three and attending the final awards ceremony in London in May 2016.
If you wish to attend any club or activity or would like further details please speak to the teacher or coach running the activity.
The current term’s activities are downloadable:
Extra-Curricular Clubs and Activities may include the following:
Please note that this list is not exhaustive and is subject to change on a termly basis. Please click on the link above for this term’s details.
- Aerobics (Senior School)
- Air Rifle Target Shooting (Years 5-8)
- Art Club (Senior School)
- Art and Craft Club (Upper Prep School)
- Athletics (Preparatory School)
- Badminton Club (Preparatory and Senior School)*
- Ballet (Lower Prep School)
- Bat and Ball Games (Lower Prep School)
- Bird Club (Preparatory School)
- Board and Card Games Club (Upper Prep School)
- Book Club (Years 6 – 9)
- Chess Club
- Choir (Senior School)
- Construction Club (Lower Prep School)
- Cricket Club (Upper Prep School)
- Cross Country (Preparatory School)
- Dance (Preparatory and Senior School)*
- Drama Club (Senior School)
- Drawing (Upper Prep School)
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme (Bronze, Silver and Gold) (Senior School)
- Football (Preparatory School)
- Fun Swim (Upper Prep School)
- Fun with Clay (Preparatory School)
- Gala Practice (Senior School)
- Gardening (Lower Prep School)
- General Knowledge Quiz Team (Senior School)
- Green Club (Years 6-13)
- Hockey Club (Upper Prep and Senior School)
- Kayaking and Canoe Club (Year 6-13)*
- Lego and Construction Club (Preparatory School)
- Maths and Games Club (Senior School)
- Mini Tennis Club (Lower Prep School)*
- Music Lessons* including; alto saxophone, bass guitar, bassoon, cello, clarinet, drums, flute, guitar (bass, electric and classical), harp, horn, keyboard, oboe, piano, recorder, singing, teneroon, trumpet, ukelele, viola and violin
- Netball Club (Preparatory and Senior School)
- Orchestra (Years 6-13)
- Parachute Games (Lower Prep School)
- Public Speaking Club (Senior School)
- Rock Band (Senior School)
- Rounders (Upper Prep School)
- Rugby Club (Lower and Upper Prep School)
- Science Club (Preparatory School)
- Scrabble Club (Years 6-9)
- Singing Club (Lower Prep School)
- Swimming (Senior School)
- Table Tennis Club (Upper Prep School)
- Tae Kwon Do (Preparatory and Senior School)*
- Tennis Club (Preparatory and Senior School)*
- Trampolining (Preparatory and Senior School)*
- Ukulele Club (Upper Prep School)
- Woodland Activities (Lower Prep School)
The majority of our extra-curricular activities and clubs are included in our school fees. However there is a charge for some activities (*), such as private music or tennis tuition provided by our peripatetic teachers. See our school fees for further details. Please also note that not all of the activities listed above are necessarily available every term, although there is always a very comprehensive choice.
School Trips and Excursions
The school also runs school trips throughout the year. Past trips have included skiing in Canada and Switzerland, visiting the geysers in Iceland, Battlefields tours of France and Belgium, a trip to Disneyland Paris and an gastronomy excursion to the Opal Coast in France. Our Preparatory School pupils in Years 5 and 6 also get to enjoy a residential trip with their classmates in the UK each year and our senior girls spend many weekends in the Spring through to Autumn on Duke of Edinburgh expeditions. Over the summer holidays recently a group of senior girls visited South Africa where they volunteered at a remote primary school as well as going on safari and visiting other sites of interest.
Weekend activities for full-time boarders are included in school fees. Find out what our boarders get up to at the evenings and weekend here.